Lenne

Alien Incident

Tue May 19, 2015 2:41 pm

I'd like to request a re-release of Alien Incident on GOG. It's still a quality game that didn't get the attention it deserved, and I think plenty of people who haven't heard of it would now be interested in playing it, considering the interest in retro gaming in recent years. Adventure games have also been doing well on GOG, as they age well. And lastly, it's a unique piece of Housemarque/Finnish game history, being the only (?) example of the genre, and a good one to boot!

I know re-releases take some effort, but this game is surely worth it, and IMO something Housemarque should be proud of. It's a beautiful proof that you can excel at more than action. ;-) So... pretty please? :-)

tommasodb

Re: Alien Incident

Tue May 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi Lenne, this is something we've been discussing a few times (re-releases). So far we've been very busy with new projects, and the thing has slipped on the sideways. I remember that when we discussed our snowboarding titles with GOG they said they weren't interested, as old sports games tend to not sell well. However, this year Housemarque turns 20, so we should definitely think about it...

imwastingmytimenow

Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:49 pm

I second the request. The game is nowhere findable, and i dare to say it is the non-lucas adventure with a worst fair recognition of the market (alongwith flight of the amazon, which is finally recovering the status thanks to scummvm), according to it's quality. It is one of the adventures i enjoyed the most in the past.

Please, consider it, for adventures sake :')!!!

tommasodb

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We keep thinking about ways to re-release old games that make economical sense (we can't subtract resources to existing projects and we need to make sure we make the porting money back). I'll make sure management knows there's interest, but we need to be a bit realistic. For example, Outland of PC took way longer than we hoped to break even with the porting costs, and that's a much more recent and appreciated game. So...

imwastingmytimenow

Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:18 pm

I understand it, but in that particular case, it would be enough simply lending scumvm devs the source code as many others did (which doesn't mean make it available for free). After a few months that would represent porting it virtually everywhere and make it easily distributable and executable (and easily enhancable graphically) in paid platforms such as GOG. I dont think sending a zip over internet would repesent a big opportunity cost and those dusty diskettes use to sell very well. Besides, I think the game would obtain good reviews and hits, given its resolution, puzzles and the fact is a hidden gem yet to discover among graphic adventurers. Either way, thanks for being so receptive

tommasodb

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:13 am

Yeah actually we've been thinking even about releasing the code for free :D

We'll see. Now everybody is in holiday, I'l bring this up again when they're back at the office.

imwastingmytimenow

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:04 am

Thatt would be AWESOME!111 Thanks for your time tommasodb!

Lenne

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 pm

I'm crossing my fingers! I know you guys have your plates full, but the adventure game community is crazy dedicated to adventure games of yore.

imwastingmytimenow

Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:01 am

Is there any news regarding this issue?
(sorry if I disturb, I remember something about bosses coming back from holidays and addressing the thing :) )

tommasodb

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:56 am

imwastingmytimenow wrote:Is there any news regarding this issue?
(sorry if I disturb, I remember something about bosses coming back from holidays and addressing the thing :) )

Hi there. No progress. We're fully focused on new games at the moment. From the look of it, we're gonna have a hot autumn and an even hotter 2016, so I believe older games need to take the back seat once again.

It would make sense to do something about it while we are in our 20th Anniversary ('till June 2016) but at the end of the day we need to give priorities to things that will actually pay some salaries. Not too hopeful about it.

Return to “Our older games”