gtust

Housemarque should make a SCI-FI top-down RACER!

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:16 am

Think about it! A SCI-FI top-down racer set in the world of Alienation. Instead of soldiers we have cars! While racing you're of course attacked by all sorts of aliens trying to stop you reaching goal....

Yepe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Housemarque should make a SCI-FI top-down RACER!

Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:19 am

gtust wrote:Think about it! A SCI-FI top-down racer set in the world of Alienation. Instead of soldiers we have cars! While racing you're of course attacked by all sorts of aliens trying to stop you reaching goal....

Do you have any games like you described as a reference for us? I mean games that we could research when doing this of course :-P
It's time to squash bugs and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum. :1rolleyes:

gtust

Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:17 am

The one game that really comes to mind is BADLANDS by Atari (1989):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badlands_(video_game)

The course needs to be a lot bigger and the screen needs to follow the player around, but Badlands has a nice setting and feel to it.

This genre really needs an upgrade, and I think so much could be done to it in terms of movement and weapons. Maybe even have some kind of driving/flying/boating crossover, like at a certain point the car will transform to about across a pond, fly over a canyon, etc.... And you need to hit specific targets for that to happen.

I also think twin stick-controls could be used, and maybe even controlling both yourself (left stick) and a drone (right stick) at some point.

Finally, I think you could have so much fun making this! :)

DenT4FacE

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:15 am

grust, have you played Motorstorm RC? It's really good...

I'd be curious to see what Housemarque could do to reinvigorate the genre as well. As long as it's focused on single player..
Formerly known as Cobra_Qc on Housemarque forums and on PSN

gtust

Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Yeah, I've played Motorstorm RC and both it and the new Mantis Burn Racing has this sort of gameplay, but they both bore me... They're not bringing anything new to the table, and I think Housemarque could give the genre a shot in the arm so to say...

Nenous

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:46 am

I can't see House designing a racer' honestly i don't wanna 2017 version of Pole Position.
I would like Resogun 2.

gtust

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:24 pm

Well, Pole Position is not a top-down-racer and Resogun is a 2013-version of DEFENDER (1981), fyi.

I think if Housemarque focused heavily on sequels, they would be boring...
One of my favourite games was OUTLAND, and it certainly was a departure from what you'd
expect Housemarque to do.

Return to “Housemarque General”