Nenous

What kind of feedback

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:58 am

As an older person i'm not very familiar with technology, so when giving feedback on a videogame' what's really useful for game developers? And please keep it simple.
Thankyou.

Stinja

Re: What kind of feedback

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:20 am

I'm not a game developer, but i am involved in software development; and the type of feedback we like is structured and reasoned. e.g.:

Bugs:
- things actually wrong with the game, with recreation steps (when i go into X menu and select Y weapon with button Z and press upgrade, the game crashes, it only happens with this one weapon type. it happens every time, and my friend checked it's the same on his PS4 too. Firmware xyz. latest game update.)

Dividing between subjective and objective opinion (preferably objective).
Subjective:
- i don't like the menu colours
- why isn't there an option for X feature
- characters Y's power should do more damage

Objective:
- colour blind colour in menu Z does not conform to ISO 22324 (or whatever) colourblind guidelines
- X feature has unintended side-effect (e.g. invulnerability frames)
- character's Y power does not do listed damage

Improvements (on the understanding these may never get implemented):
- outline of something which may make the game better.
- adjustments and enhancements to existing features.
- wish-lists should be reasonable and relevant to resources and existing structure.

Always re-read your feedback, and ensure it makes sense to another person, stays on topic, and is precise if possible.

Not speaking for Housemarque obviously, just what we like ;)

tommasodb

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:23 am

Hey Stinja, these are very good guidelines. On things like balancing sometime opinions can be subjective. We like to hear all point of views, as long as they're expressed in a respectful manner.

We can't always ACT on them, because of other priorities, or budget limitations, or other reasons, but we always READ them and discuss them internally.

For example: people are still finding small bugs in Resogun, or taking the game where we didn't think anyone could arrive, clearly breaking it (several people on this forum actually), but we can't act on it because Resogun is concluded. All the team members are on other projects and there's no budget allocated for further fixes (the math doesn't check: the issues are known to so few people that it's not worth the investment). I know it sounds slightly cold but we need to pay salaries and bills and make sure this remains a viable business, so sometimes what we want to do is not what we need to do. Besides, at this point our publisher would no agree to further work on that regard.

Nenous

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:20 am

Stinja
That was very helpful. I think developers think many gamers are really good at providing feedback and not realizing that alot of us that are older don't post feedback, just for the sake of not sounding dum.

Return to “Housemarque General”