Nenous

Re: What is Housemarque to you?

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:33 am

HOUSE pardon me for being blunt. But why let DEAD NATION fall off the cliff and be forgotten, you have a proven winner and your treating the franchise like it's mundane. How many studios would give to see the success you all have seen with DEAD NATION? everyone of them.
I maybe no game producer, but i know when you have something that's hot' you run with it.

tommasodb

Re: What is Housemarque to you?

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Nenous wrote:HOUSE pardon me for being blunt. But why let DEAD NATION fall off the cliff and be forgotten, you have a proven winner and your treating the franchise like it's mundane. How many studios would give to see the success you all have seen with DEAD NATION? everyone of them.
I maybe no game producer, but i know when you have something that's hot' you run with it.

There's a bunch of considerations that go into what to do next: first of all, what is our publisher asking? Dead Nation is not a Housemarque IP, it's a Sony IP, and that means that we get to do another one of those if they ask us to. Did we have ideas for a sequel? Yes, and we still have, but that's another matter.

Our relationship with Sony has evolved into something like "Housemarque makes new IPs for PlayStation". At the very beginning of the project Alienation was something fairly different. In time it got closer to Dead Nation, which is as you say one of our most successful titles, while being different enough for us to try new things and not feel "more of the same". I believe it's a game Dead Nation fans will absolutely love Alienation, but at the same time the title allows us to do things that maybe other people outside zombie lovers will be curios to try.

Then there's other things to consider: what are the devs willing to work on? Because these projects are long, and working on the same franchise over and over becomes tedious very fast. What you don't want to do is to make your key people bored, because if that happens and they have options, they might leave.

We need to pick up projects that make people inside the company excited. I'm not saying Dead Nation is dead (pun intended). I'm saying "we already made one of those". We'll make another when and if the variables align so that our publisher wants to revive the IP, and we are in the right moment in time for that to happen.

Return to “Housemarque General”