tommasodb

What is Housemarque to you?

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:50 pm

As an ongoing effort to focus on things that are important for our community, we started an internal discussion trying to pin down the core values the name "Housemarque" stands for.

We have, of course, reached our own conclusions. That said, it would probably be too arrogant to consider the process over without a reality check with our audience, or in other words, you.

That's why we would like to hear from our new forum community some thoughts on what Housemarque represents to players. If you don't know where to start, feel free to check some hints under the SPOILER tag, but please do not let the topics below limit the scope of your answer. We are really interested in finding out who plays our games, why, and what's expected from our future projects – don't just say you want a sequel of this or that game, tell us what it would add to your life as a player!

Spoiler:
- What is your first thought when you hear the name "Housemarque"? What do you associate it with? A specific game? A feeling?

- What do you expect to find in a Housemarque game?

- Why do you play our games? Is it because of reviews? Because a friend told you? Because you liked our previous games?

- When you hear "Housemarque is working on a new project", what's your first reaction and why?

- If you had to imagine another fan of our games, how would you describe her/him? In your mind, what would drive this person towards our products?

- How do you perceive Housemarque as a studio – our platforms of choice, our publishing deals, our presence on media? And as place to work?

Danno

Re: What is Housemarque to you?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:54 pm

- What is your first thought when you hear the name "Housemarque"? What do you associate it with? A specific game? A feeling?

Dead Nation, hours of fun shooting zombies.

Zombies

- Why do you play our games? Is it because of reviews? Because a friend told you? Because you liked our previous games?

Fun, easy to start playing, hours of fun.

- When you hear "Housemarque is working on a new project", what's your first reaction and why?

Dead Nation 2, really hope that this is happening. Dead Nation one of my fave games ever.

Drageard

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:44 pm

I personally associate with Super Stardust HD, that's how I got to know this wonderful studio, actually through it's music on a playlist, so I looked more into it and I HAD to buy it; oh and of course, DUAL STICKS. ALL THE WAY.
http://vip.aersia.net/vip.swf
(That's the playlist, hope I don't break any rules by posting it, tho I did read them. Btw, the playlist is highly addictive, I warn ye.)

That old-yet-nevergetsold-new arcadey feel on your games, where the game might look simple, because you only do "one thing" (like destroying asteroids, killing zombies, etc) but it's actually pretty deep with various mechanic twists, so it's actually getting better skills at each playthrough rather than a game that tries to do lots of things but lazily where you learn next to nothing.

DUAL STICKS; nah, just kidding, I love the deep gameplay, arcade-hard, actually wonderful looking for a small size games :3, these and the Wipeout HD games are the ones that surprise me more with the graphics the can display for the game size.
So yeah, your stuff is a lot of fun. For me and my girl :3.

HNNNNNNNN- WANT.
Seriously, I trust you do not dissapoint anyone, probably because you already know how to do your stuff, and you do it very well.

- If you had to imagine another fan of our games, how would you describe her/him? In your mind, what would drive this person towards our products?

Possibly an old school gamer, and would buy because of that game feel where you have to get better at the game on your own by actually playing and thinking strategies.

- How do you perceive Housemarque as a studio – our platforms of choice, our publishing deals, our presence on media? And as place to work?

Well... It fits me because I'm all in for all consoles, but it just happens that I'm sticking with PlayStation x3, though it would be awesome if you got into a broader audience, I bet you'd make a lot of sales through Steam, but I'm not so sure about your ability to do so because of publishing deals.
As of Media Presence, I think you're just fine, a bit like the underdog, wich your games shine the most and not the company, wich isn't a bad thing!, But I'd love watching Housemarque as a studio get more recognition.

tommasodb

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:12 am

Danno wrote:- When you hear "Housemarque is working on a new project", what's your first reaction and why?

Dead Nation 2, really hope that this is happening. Dead Nation one of my fave games ever.

Thanks Danno, can I ask if you did get Dead Nation through the Welcome Pack or how? :)

tommasodb

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks for the excellent feedback Drageard, that's pretty much the ideal answer we had in mind when we opened this topic.

Drageard wrote:(That's the playlist, hope I don't break any rules by posting it, tho I did read them. Btw, the playlist is highly addictive, I warn ye.)

Sure, no problem, looks like a nice playlist :)

Pound_lb003

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 pm

---------- What is your first thought when you hear the name "Housemarque"? What do you associate it with? A specific game? A feeling?

Super Stardust HD ofcourse. I don't like zombies much, so I did't like Dead Nation, so a feeling would be sci-fi and energetic!

---------- What do you expect to find in a Housemarque game?

Tight controls, shiny 3D graphics, shooter focused. Almost demo-scene like in that regards.

----------- Why do you play our games? Is it because of reviews? Because a friend told you? Because you liked our previous games?

It's because Super Stardust was one of the best games on PSN, especially in the early days, and I returned when it went 3D :)

---------- When you hear "Housemarque is working on a new project", what's your first reaction and why?

"Oooh, I wonder if they can take their style to a larger scale.", I wonder it becuase although Stardust was superb, I'd like a little more freedom/complexity. I just want something that offers more, but with the same values that Housemarque is (for me) associated with.

And with that, reaction, it's also a matter of - "it HAS to be next-gen!" (no pressure :P )

--------- If you had to imagine another fan of our games, how would you describe her/him? In your mind, what would drive this person towards our products?

Probably a busy person who enjoys mobile games unfortunately. I suspect people would love Stardust HD on phones or mobile. I know I don't, but nevermind!

Maybe they are like me, and are just mesmerisied by the aesthetic and rock-blasting physics. And they remain playing becuase of the snappy control and interesteding enemy design.

--------- How do you perceive Housemarque as a studio – our platforms of choice, our publishing deals, our presence on media? And as place to work?

I associate you with Playstation and Stardust entirely. Outland and Dead Nation don't even come into it.

And I am virtually unaware of any other mobile/licensed projects you guys worked on.

tommasodb

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks for taking the time Pound_lb003, very useful insights. If I can ask, why you're unaware of our mobile projects? Not interested in mobile platforms, coverage was scarce or what?

Pound_lb003

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 am

I have an Android phone, and I try lots of things on it, I just never find them as interesting as console/PC games. So if it's on Android I could check it out.

I just assumed you had done some mobile stuff at some point. But there is NEVER coverage of mobile games where I read. Sometimes (though maybe 3 times a year) a mobile game will pick up some word-of-mouth on my Twitter feed, then I might have a look.

As you can tell I really am not a target for ANY mobile game, so don't read too much into it. :)

tommasodb

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 am

No, these are good points, we can't deny that getting coverage for mobile projects is very hard. Many "traditional" sites refuse to pick up mobile games, and specialized sites have a very different audience. Word of mouth (and featuring) still seem to be the two most effective "channels" to communicate new releases. It's something we need to take into account.

Pound_lb003

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:41 am

I understand what you're saying. But I don't think it's a problem with the positioning/marketing efforts of companies like yourselves. I think it's a problem with the environment you're publishing into.

It's a hostile environment, very few successes. And when I look at the Google Play store (and iOS store) when I look at the top apps there's 1 or 2 success stories. And then there's hugely marketed or acquired EA properties.

And despite that EA is STILL getting out of the mobile arena.

Steam, XBLA, PSN. They have got to be more clever bets. Mobile is a bit like buying a lottery ticket.

Return to “Housemarque General”