tommasodb

Re: What is Housemarque to you?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Very accurate analysis, but we have a couple of success stories coming from Finland and people we know directly (Rovio and Supercell, namely). Maybe we are next ;)

Pound_lb003

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Well you have the sales numbers, not me. I am sure you wouldn't be considering it otherwise.

I am still looking forward to hearing about your console projects :)

Cobra_Qc

Mon May 06, 2013 3:52 pm

I've known about you guys after playing Super Stardust HD when it released in the PS store. I fell in love with it instantly.. It's my personal Game of the Year of 2007 by the way. I spent at least 300 hours on that game. That's when you became one of my top 5 developers. I literally can't wait for your next game on PS3 (or PS4).

I grew up gaming on the Intellivision and going to the arcades. I haven't played a game like Super Stardust HD in ages! The game is simply perfect, it's a masterpiece. The scoring system is extremely well balanced and it cannot be exploited and that's a flaw in most oldschool game I've played recently but not SSHD (or Dead Nation).

You guys made the two very best top down shmup ever.

I eagerly awaited Outland but I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed by it. Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant game but it doesn't offer the same replayability as SSHD or Dead Nation. At least not for me... Although, the final boss alone was worth the price you asked for it, it's amazing. So yea, I wasn't let down or anything. The controls are excellent and the graphics are fantastic just as I was expecting. So it's another fantastic title, just not my cup of tea.

For me, Housemarque is oldschool gaming perfected. I would love to see what you could do for the 2D shmup genre because honestly, the ones I played recently suck and I'm sure that you guys could come up with something fresh and better than the best :mrgreen:

Keep up the outstanding work!

unholyxnightmare

Tue May 07, 2013 9:55 am

- What is your first thought when you hear the name "Housemarque"? What do you associate it with? A specific game? A feeling?
Would be a specific game and that game would be Dead Nation. So much fun and endless replay value in my opinion.

- What do you expect to find in a Housemarque game?
Great looking game with simple controls and a killer story to it.

- Why do you play our games? Is it because of reviews? Because a friend told you? Because you liked our previous games?
A friend on my list said for me to get Dead Nation and i have never looked back.

- When you hear "Housemarque is working on a new project", what's your first reaction and why?
Definitely excited reaction whether it be for Dead Nation 2 or even any other game at this point is worth checking out based on the reputation and dedication of this company.

- If you had to imagine another fan of our games, how would you describe her/him? In your mind, what would drive this person towards our products?
Someone who likes the older style games and also someone who likes to pickup and go without a long drawn out process in order to get playing. Basically the casual gamer who likes to jump right into the action

Taylorhead

Thu May 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Housemarque games have such tight controls and excellent replay value. The thing I love most about your games is the score chasing. Chasing a high score gives you a scale for how you're improving at the game. I love the multiplier aspect of stardust, resogun, and dead nation. I specifically like the Dead Nation one that reduces when you take damage.

I would love if all these big retail games with campaigns like God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, etc had this multiplier aspect. In fact I wish Sony instead of having everyone implement trophies in games, instead had everyone implement some sort of score system. Imagine instead of comparing trophies you compares scores with your friends on each game. So instead of a huge list of boring trophies each game you have a score. I think today most people are all about running through to see some sort of story and that's fun too, but I like to play my games over and over again to improve at the game. I think having a score aspect to all these single player campaign games people would want to play them several times to improve their score.

You guys do that so well in your games. Reminds me of the old days where the goal and replay value of every game was getting a higher score. I loved your Outland game, and I think if you guys had implemented the multiplier aspect into that game, I would have gotten more replays out of it. I imagine being more cautious about taking damage if I knew it would affect my multiplier/score. Did you guys ever think about implementing the multiplier/score aspect in Outland when you were developing it?

You guys are definitely one of the top developers. Easily the top indie dev!! All your games have tight responsive controls, great art, excellent gameplay, and the best replay value (score chasing)

You guys thought about making a game like Contra?

tommasodb

Fri May 16, 2014 10:24 am

Taylorhead wrote:I would love if all these big retail games with campaigns like God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, etc had this multiplier aspect. In fact I wish Sony instead of having everyone implement trophies in games, instead had everyone implement some sort of score system. Imagine instead of comparing trophies you compares scores with your friends on each game. So instead of a huge list of boring trophies each game you have a score. I think today most people are all about running through to see some sort of story and that's fun too, but I like to play my games over and over again to improve at the game. I think having a score aspect to all these single player campaign games people would want to play them several times to improve their score.

Interesting proposal. I'm not sure how exactly would you be able to compare points coming from an RPG (say, Skyrim), to those coming to a racing game or Resogun.
Some games are MADE with score in mind, so I think that a compulsory score system would definitely compromise design.

You guys are definitely one of the top developers. Easily the top indie dev!! All your games have tight responsive controls, great art, excellent gameplay, and the best replay value (score chasing)

You guys thought about making a game like Contra?

We think about that all the time ;-)

About Outland, I actually have to ask, I wasn't around when that game was designed.

Taylorhead

Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm

I don't expect to compare a racer score to a shooter score, but each game have its own score system. Any game where you take damage and have enemies to kill obviously could be the easiest to implement. I know race games the replay value is time chasing instead of score chasing, but I'm sure they could come up with a formula based on cars attained, prize money from races, wins/losses, rewarded for not using as many driving assists, etc for a game like Gran Turismo.

Say a game like Outlast on PS4/PC where you can't kill anyone, make time rewards like you guys have in Stardust and Dead Nation, and taking damage hurts your score. People on twitch compete for the quickest completion time for this game, which keeps people coming back to play.

It just seems if more games had some sort of scale that helps the player gauge if he's improving in the game it would get people to play these single player games more than once. I hear the all the time how devs are trying to implement multiplayer in their games to keep people from trading them in. Most people will play through the campaign once and feel they have experienced all the game has to offer. You have to play a game several times to really learn and experience what the game has to offer, not to mention you never see everything on your first play through.

If you think about stardust, resogun, and dead nation. The gameplay in those are really satisfying, but had there not been a score system to help the player gauge improvement in the game the replay value wouldn't be as high. I would be shooting up rocks in stardust saying this sure is pretty, or I sure have lasted a long time on this life I wonder how long I've been alive. The score system seems like such a small thing, but man it really gives that I gotta play another game to improve feeling.

tommasodb

Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Yeah, it's not a bad idea at all, I just wonder if it can be easily applied to all games. Say Dear Esther. What then? :D

Another solution is in-game achievements. Those do not force design to adapt to a scoring system. The downside is that of course what you "unlock" doesn't contribute to an overall "player score".

Taylorhead

Fri May 16, 2014 3:42 pm

Yeah I had to look that game up! I have no idea what you could do with that?! It's so weird it's not really a game but experience.

Yeah that's the thing with trophies/achievements once you "achieve" the goal, say 5 headshots in a row, you never need to do it again. Now with a score system, a multiplier/score could be improved by multiple headshots in a row. People would practice and improve at the game instead of here's what I need to do to achieve this trophy bam I'm done, moving on!!

Taylorhead

Wed May 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Tommaso, this is exactly what I was talking about on replay value in your games and how I wish more single player campaigns included some sort of arcade/score system like Housemarque games have. 90% of the comments on here say they only play the campaign once, and don't have any reason to play it again. People love goals whether it's trophies/achievements, upgrading a character, etc. A score goal is almost never ending cause you are constantly learning and getting better at the game. I just think most gamers aren't used to playing a game for score.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822478[/url]

Return to “Housemarque General”