P4NCH0theD0G

Alien Nation - First (and therefore only) Platinum Trophy

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 pm

I bought this on launch. I had tremendous fun. I took a loooong break, back before there were armor sets or ammo colors or the new weapons. I had the season pass, but never played any of it. Until about a week ago.

And I remembered how much fun this game was. Still is. And I was positively giddy when I saw how much people still play it, and not just lvl 30/300s. The last week I played a lot. I had some time on my hands and I don't like people, so I spent some quality time with Alienation.

I lost two Hardcore Characters before I got to lvl 30 (and had activated all of a levels respawn points). But I got there.
I cursed myself for instinct firing on several tries to get the no-bullets-fired trophy.
I cursed the game when I finished a level with an accuracy of 89%.
I ran around doing assignments for orbs. It seemed like an insurmountable task to get twelve lvl 6s (which are, in total, 2916 lvl 1 orbs or 972 lvl 2s), but I got there (today).
Then I felt really stupid for disassembling all those lvl 30 blues after actually reading the description for that last trophy I was missing (and it really was easier than it looked!)

But I loved every minute of it.

I don't do trophies in general. If they happen, they happen. When I see a trophy I kinda want (mostly the difficult ones), I might actively try for it, but I don't really care to get platinums. For me, trophies just show me how much I enjoy a game - the more I got, the more I obviously like playing.

Alienation marks my so far only Platinum Trophy. And... well, it's about the biggest compliment I, personally, can make any game: I enjoyed this so much, I actually went and got all the trophies, even the not-so-easy ones, even the ones that are a bit of a grind.
As a comparison, I do love Nioh, where I am missing three trophies, but especially one of them is a real drag and I just can't be bothered - not here, though.
Alienation kept me playing.

So... thank you Housemarque.
Very much.

Yepe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alien Nation - First (and therefore only) Platinum Trophy

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 am

It warms my heart to hear stuff like this :-) So thank you! It's nice to hear that people are still enjoying Alienation!

In my opinion we did good job with it as a team and although it didn't get that much commercial or critical success, what matters the most to us are the experiences like yours. I'll forward your message to the rest of the team, I bet it will cheer them up in the middle of a stressful period!
It's time to squash bugs and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum. :1rolleyes:

Clanger2208

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:58 am

I was the same as you, bought the game at launch with season pass, played it for a while then forgot about it till a couple of months ago, I've been playing regularly since then and it's nice to see lots of people still playing. I have one trophy left to get for my platinum, my hard-core character is on level 29 so I should get the plat tonight, this will also be my first platinum trophy for any game.

P4NCH0theD0G

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:24 pm

I think the game improved tremendously with the addition of armor sets, color schemes and the new weapons (although I am still not sure how you get the collapser do to that rapid fire thing where it shoots more than one big bullet).

As it stands, it has a metacritic score of 79%, but those reviews all came from the release version, and in my opinion, Alienation is a different beast by now. Even without the Season Pass content (and let's be honest, it's a lot of great content for a very low price), people, reviewers, would do well to revisit it. Also, I do wish you might revisit it for a PS Pro patch (although Boost Mode does some good).

And, well, it's not my place to "demand" this, but I think with Nex coming soon, it might be a very good time to offer Alienation (with Season Pass content) as a PS Plus game in May? PS Plus did wonders to revive Helldivers (for me), and it would be a great way to get more people to enjoy the tremendous game Alienation has become, get them ready for Nex (and maybe get some goodwill back from PS Plus subscribers for Sony, after the April offerings were not received well at all ;) )

Anyway.

Medals for all!
(And a Plat for Clanger! :D )

Clanger2208

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:24 pm

I have to agree with you there, all the add on content made a good game a great game. Re collapser, press and hold for big bullet, small taps in quick succession for lots of small bullets.

ultraviolet

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm the same realy, liked the game at launch, played it a lot, then gave it a break as I found world 2 to hard to enjoy that much. (This was mainly because I hadn't refined my weapons enough and levelled-up my character)
Now back on it and have a set of weapons I kind of like I think the game is simply lovely and I'm on my last trophy trying to get to level 30 in hardcore mode (saving after every session to a USB stick :-)
I don't normally have PS+ but for this game I've paid for it, as with friends it's epic!
"The Thinker knows..."

P4NCH0theD0G

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:57 pm

With PS Plus you can also upload and download saves from your cloud (although I would not know how Sony handles that if you stop your Plus subscription). If PSN were a bit more dependable, I'd say Plus was definitely worth the money, get some "free" games, get some decent discounts, too, but if you don't play much online, then it's a personal choice.

Funny thing, with the Season Pass you get those level 15 shortcuts straight into World 2, but every time I played a new character, I was already at level 20+ when reaching World 2, just playing the missions and not dying a lot. And having options in your ability setup makes a big difference especially in Hardcore Mode - where my Saboteur stopped using the Artillery Strike almost completely, instead relying mostly on Camouflage and the Plasma Blades to get health back (and since you can make it so you need less orbs for camouflage, you can use an Armor set that reverts Cam back to normal but gives you kind of a "free" boost to something else ;) )

I tried the Archship on Legend, but my gear power is only around 3 mil, and it took a whole clip of my Boomerang-on-Shot SMG just to down one of those lvl 54 mutants, so that try didn`t last long. It's a bit of a pity that there's no medium difficulty for the Archship, as the rewards on the lower difficulty are kinda meh (four floors only got me blues and a few level 3 and 4 cores).

I really hope that we will see an "Alienation 2 - Now it's our turn" where we will conquer the alien homeplanet and spread democracy for Super Ear-... erm... anyway.

I'm looking forward to Nex, but from what I've seen there's no looting there - which is great to create an even playing field for leaderboards, but as I don't care about those, it might not be enough for me to really replace Alienation.

And Matterfall is still shrouded in mystery, with no news since that announcement trailer.

If Alienation (or A2) went a bit deeper into the loot thing - not Diablo deep, but maybe Nioh deep, with elemental effects, armor pieces with different stats, and more passive effects on guns (and armor) - added a few more weapons and, especially, weapon mods (lower rate of fire but more impact, burst fire for more precision, homing missiles etc), then offered a few more missions and levels (I think Nioh did kinda well in re-using levels but making them "different enough" to not become too repetitive - at least the big levels), with Raids, maybe some dynamic events happening on the maps, maybe even a rudimentary map editor or mission editor (custom built maps using existing assets with text-based missions)... oh, I could go on forever with ideas.

I really believe Alienation was that pretty much perfect combination of twitchy, skill-based and reactive combat (not like Diablo) and a, by the end, decent loot system that had you wanting more and better for quite some time, but, and this is pretty much my only real criticism, was a bit too "small" - the maps where varied, but they also were always same, and the UFOs and the Archship all look the same, even if they're randomly put together.

So... in a way, it was almost a top-down, twin-stick Destiny :D - albeit with a better story.
(I loved Destiny at first, then the Grind set in and then they released those first two "expansions" and then I kinda lost my respect and interest... Also, Destiny seemed to be a very divisive experience among my gaming friends, as some people never seemed to be getting into Raid groups and really didn't like that, and since you only had a week... Destiny became work at some point, while at the same time being addictive enough that it tore apart friends because some just had to do the Raid and couldn't wait any longer...)

Yes, I am bored.

Deal with it :D

So, if the Housemarques are listening, think about expanding what Alienation has become into something more, bigger, deeper, darker. Uncut.

Please?

Yepe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:24 am

I would love to do a sequel or a spiritual sequel to Alienation :-)
It's time to squash bugs and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum. :1rolleyes:

Aigwrai

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Yepe wrote:I would love to do a sequel or a spiritual sequel to Alienation :-)

Please, please!
I would love to see that! I wonder a good story context and characters we could get from our Alienation save!
How about April, 26th - 2018? :1laugh: :1cheesy: :1grin: :1cool: :1rolleyes:
Wait!
Over here!
Nice!

Yepe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Maybe some day :1grin:

Return to “Alienation”