Gitaroo

The final boss is some serious BS

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:18 am

It is basically impossible to reach the boss if you die and loose your range extend, and what the hell is up with the retarded camera zoom before the boss fight? I die so many times when I was off the screen with the remaining enermies are still running around. Either make them disappear or make character invisible before the fight start. And they need to calm down with those neo color bullets, I could barely see my own character jesus christ.

I love every housemarque game from up until resogun, but I have given up Alienation with the amount of shit going on the screen where I can barely see anything at all. Nex Machina is a bit better with faster response (60fps) to help except for all the bosses with bad visibility. I realized I am running out of patient with shumps, I just want a twin stick shooter where I can sit down and enjoy play, I don't care about score chasing nor leaderboard. Rookie mode is the right level of casual fun for most casual people but they locked away half of the game from it. In Japan bullet hell shumps killed the genre if Housemarque is planning to make more twin stick shooter they better rethink of their game design or at least not locking half of the game away; spamming shit on screen only going to drive people away just like bullet hell shumps. I won't even be getting matterfall on day 1 anymore after this and Alienation. Dead Nation was the last game from housemarque that I think has reasonable difficulty and I actually platinum the game.

Yepe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The final boss is some serious BS

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Nex Machina is designed in a very old school mindset, it's not supposed to be easy or casual - instead it's designed from start to finish to be a tight, hectic and fast. I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the game, but it's the kind of game that many of us here grew up with - brought to the modern age. We enjoy it and hope that as many other people could enjoy it as well.

And for what it's worth, I think Matterfall might be more up your alley. :-)
It's time to squash bugs and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum. :1rolleyes:

SuziQ

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:55 pm

It's only been two days, maybe I change my opinion later, but right now I agree that the game is too hard. Rookie was fun, Experienced already feels completely hopeless for this more casual player. I liked that in Resogun up to maybe even Veteran and on Nex Machina on Rookie it's not that difficult to actually beat the game, the fun and difficulty lies in getting your multiplier up and executing on the scoring mechanics to beat your highscore. On Experienced I'm on continue #60 just to see the credits, it's so punishing. Getting my Platinum in Resogun was super fun and rewarding, I have no idea how I'm ever going to accomplish that here.

SuziQ

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:15 am

NOPE, can't do it. I blew through 70 continues on the last boss. On Experienced. That guy is ridiculous, I feel completely f*cked without range and triple dash.

xV_Stee7ers_Vx

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:05 am

Oh for **** sake. more complaining that its "too Hard" you have too put the time in to be good at this game or to chase scores. it requires you to play a lot. and also requires very high skill and patience.

If you thought Resogun was too hard you guys should of passed on nex or just suck it up and put more effort.

Great job with the game Housemarque! so damn intense!. i hope you guys make it even HARDER. and eventually add a endless/survival mode :1cool:

SuziQ

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:09 am

Nobody in this thread is saying Resogun was too hard, Resogun was perfect. I'm saying Nex Machina seems way harder than anything Housemarque has ever done, and I don't really see a reason why. Specifically, Experienced seems too hard (haven't played Veteran), or at least the difficulty spikes do. Resogun struck a great balance between accessibility and hardcore content. Anyone could beat two difficulties, most people could beat Veteran and get the Platinum with a bit of work, while hardcore players had Master+Hero, feats and highscores to test their mettle. Nex machina arcade mode seems too hard for the average player on anything but rookie. It'd be interesting so see Trophy percentages between the two games.

Yukimura Sanada

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't really think the " bullet action " is too hard but i DON'T LIKE the " secrets ". I'm also an old-school gamer and i played a lot of arcade games on arcade machines and we know these games used to introduce many elements - called " secrets " - you would have to obtain in order to maximise your highscore.

While it adds another layer to the gameplay, i don't like the fact that these secrets are not secret anymore when you just discover them once ( if you're lucky enough to even discover them cuz the game doesn't even hint you anything ... ) because you will just have to remember them in your futur playthrougs. And what happens when you don' remember these " secrets " with all the sh*** going on screen ? Well, you just have to repeat the level but that's not fun.

I would rather die due to fast bullet action instead of having to repeat a game just because i was stupid enough to not remember " secrets ". That's why i still prefer Resogun now because i can just play it knowing i will have to provide a skilled gameplay to survive during endless waves of ennemis ( oh yeah, too bad there isn't any survival / endless mode in this game..... damnit ) instead of having to know by heart what are secret humans, doors, exits.....

It's not that li don't like Nex Machina, in fact it's fun the first few hours but i don't really want to play it over Resogun or even Super Stardust Ultra since this game requires me to think too much before getting into the fight. Knowing secrets by hearts is not what i would call fun and if i knew there would be so many secrets, i wouldn't have bought it.

Gitaroo

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:44 pm

I actually found out that the last boss I thought wasn't even the last boss a day later.I can't even get pass Supreme A.I after 40+ credits. Everything else upto that point was actually manageable in normal difficulty. There are some major design issue with that boss, first is the stupid camera zoom to the boss pre battle. If your character is position on the bottom half of the screen you are out of the line of sight when the camera zoom up close to the boss and you are completely screwed with active enemies around. Then there are the problem with you shot range if you don't have the upgrade and overwhelming vfx effects. As someone that play a lot of 2D bullet hell shumps I can still clearly distinguish my char and all the bullets on the screen. Not so much with Nex Machina especially on the later levels; with every new Housemarque games release since resogun, their keep raising the level of particles effects on screen and it just keep getting worse and they need to take a step back and prioritize the gameplay first than graphics.

Lets be honest, as much as I love shumps and twin sticks shooter, they are very niche genre to begin with. Bullet hell shumps has killed the shumps genre that were once one of the very popular genre at the arcade. There was a very good article about this but I can't find it anymore. It basically says any average joe take a look at the game would just say " this is too much for me" and won't even give the game a try. The genre keep loosing audience and ended up at where is it now. Company like Cave is barely surviving and had to start making visual novel.

Rookie mode was great fun but it looks like it was only a half step for casual audience as it locked away the second half of the campaign. As I said earlier, not everyone care about leaderboard nor into score chasing, many people just want to sit down and have fun after a stressful day. If the genre want to survive the developer so consider something for all audience, I would never pay 20 bucks if I the game only has 3 levels that I can enjoy....

whirly

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:10 am

it was clear from the start that this game will not be "casual", it is supposed to be tough. git gud or move on.
housemarque was even so nice to provide the ultimate help: you can just watch the replays of any player in the ranking. so if you want, you can just see how it's done and practise.

xV_Stee7ers_Vx

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 am

whirly wrote:it was clear from the start that this game will not be "casual", it is supposed to be tough. git gud or move on.
housemarque was even so nice to provide the ultimate help: you can just watch the replays of any player in the ranking. so if you want, you can just see how it's done and practise.

Yes this! you hit it right on the head. if you are a causal gamer, then why the hell would you even think about getting nex its a scoring game not a causal game get over it or get good.

If its too hard go play a game that will hold you're hand.

Return to “Nex Machina”