xV_Stee7ers_Vx

Re: Experienced too difficult, please hear me out...

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:30 am

Victor wrote:This game is just quite simply beating me into the pavement. I fully admit it.

Least you are honest I respect that

Like you I have tried 40 plus times to clear Experienced Arcade but I'm at the breaking point.

Dont give up, fight another day get better

Again, I loved Alienation. Playing on a Master with a max level Character was fun and challenging but also fair.

where you one of them players that used the no skill devastator all the time? might be why you struggle with Nex?

Matterfall is less than 2 months away. Trying to stay positive.

Like Yepe said in the other post matter fall will be up your ally.

Best of luck Eshaal.
Clearly Nex is too hard for you guys, I hope you come back once the game has more content and give it another go :1cool:

Eshaal wrote:Maybe you can show us how it's done on hero mode. Looking forward to the video.

No problem, once i get the platinum(which i will have soon) i will focus on playing a ton and improve my scores and getting better an better at the game, like the game was made too do. and eventually i will post a good hero score and post it on my youtube.

Victor

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:09 am

Hey Stee7ers...

I was a Day 1 Alienation player, very rarely used the Devastator. Like you said, it was indeed way overpowered. I agree 100 percent.

All I'm saying is I think Housemarque took things way too far with this game. I realize I will never be able to achieve the insane scores people are getting on Veteran and Master difficulty. I've got no problem with that. I don't care about scores, you guys can have them.

But if Experienced was just more balanced, so I could complete the challenges, feats, trophies etc that would be great. And of course actually complete arcade mode. Lol.

Like I said I cannot recall the last time I played a game that beat me into submission like Nex Machina has. Maybe from watching the beta footage over the last few months I got in over my head thinking... "Oh yeah, I got this"

Well as it turns out, not so much.

This game is indeed for a very, and I mean VERY niche audience. My left and right thumbs feel like fishhooks after 3 days.
Last edited by Victor on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eshaal

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:12 am

Victor wrote:Hey Eshaal. Looks like you and I are in the same boat. Good to know I'm not alone.

You are spot on correct. There is no point in using a continue. Once you lose your power ups, it's over. Specifically the Triple Dash and Weapon Range.

I have been gaming since the NES and at the very least I consider myself a slightly above average gamer.

This game is just quite simply beating me into the pavement. I fully admit it.

I wear glasses, so as would expect my vision is not the greatest. So I need to sit very close to the TV while leaning forward in the chair.

Like you I have tried 40 plus times to clear Experienced Arcade but I'm at the breaking point.

Again, I loved Alienation. Playing on a Master with a max level Character was fun and challenging but also fair.

Matterfall is less than 2 months away. Trying to stay positive.

Best of luck Eshaal.

Hey Victor.

Shmups is my favourite genre, been playing for 35 years! I am no expert gamer, but consider myself experienced. :) I too wear glasses and sit close to the TV, but this has never effect my gaming before.

Practice makes perfect, but I have spent the last 3 days trying to clear Experience level and nothing. I am getting nowhere. There’s no sense of progression and this is the problem for me. 3 days playing the same Arcade mode, over and over and I hit the same brick wall every time. Either I am missing something, or this game’s progression system is messed up royally.

It feels like Rookie mode should be Experience mode, and Experience mode should be Veteran.

If I remember correctly in Resogun there were 2 weapon upgrades per level. Which meant that when you did die, the max you would drop is 2 levels which was still enough firepower to deal with enemy waves. In Nex Machina, 2 deaths and I am back to zero. Coupled with the issue of respawning bang in the middle of lasers and bullets with no grace period. Whose bright idea was this? Not only do I lose weapons, but lose unnecessary lives through no fault of my own. This then makes the 1CC Experience run even harder!

Once I successfully respawn, it's easy to say I can pick up upgrades by shooting enemies, but my pea shooter is just not up for the job. Rubbish range and doesn;t hold a candle to the speed and intensity at which enemies attack. I don’t mind playing with god like skillz for parts/moments of a game, but consistently? Not for me. It's not fun anymore.

Alienation - one of the best weapon progression and balanced games I have ever played. I might just return to playing that instead. At least I know I Am climbing toward Hero level 100!

As for Matterfall - I will hold off the preorder for now.

Really disappointed.

Eshaal

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:17 am

xV_Stee7ers_Vx wrote:
No problem, once i get the platinum(which i will have soon) i will focus on playing a ton and improve my scores and getting better an better at the game, like the game was made too do. and eventually i will post a good hero score and post it on my youtube.

I see you haven't completed Veteran mode. Scrap the hero mode video, upload the veteran instead.

Eshaal

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:27 am

xV_Stee7ers_Vx wrote:No difficulty needs some "tweaking" its fine the way it is, its a scoring game it requires hours of patience and dedication. if you thinks its to hard get good or move on there are plenty of games that hold gamers hands

Hours of patience and dedication? It's meant to be an Arcade game not Chess.

IanMalcolmPhD

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:12 am

I just managed to beat arcade on Experienced difficulty without using any continues. Yesterday I would have told you that it is impossible.

So I played Space Station on single world mode a few times to learn the levels and really do my homework. The game is difficult so you'll find that when playing Arcade mode, you play the first couple of worlds a lot, and the later worlds not so much. This can lead to frustration because you'll make it almost to the end and since you haven't had much experience with the later levels, they eat you for lunch.

Play the later levels on rookie (space station on experienced) a while and just enjoy the scenery. Eventually you'll naturally develop some strategies without thinking about it.

Another tip is to play the Arena challenges that make everything move very fast. After 30 minutes, go back to Arcade mode and laugh at how slow everything is.

I remember seeing an interview about this game where the devs were proud to make testers get frustrated. I can't repeat in this post the EXTREME amount of obscenities that were flying around my living room yesterday and the day before while I was trying to beat Supreme AI. I've now killed that freaking nightmare maybe 5 or 6 times. Housemarque is laughing at that right now probably.

You can have fun without getting every trophy. You can have fun without killing the last boss. Play with a friend (I think i saw a YouTube video where 2 guys played remotely using PS4 Share Play).

Anyone playing this game for even 15 minutes a day will get better over time. It's been out for less than 7 days, how boring would it be if we could all conquer every little thing it has to offer in just its first week? If that were the case, we might as well go play chess.

Victor

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:31 am

I guess another thing to keep in mind is that this is the first time Housemarque has made a game not published by Sony.

Nex is 100 percent their own thing, and therefore their own vision.

I guess I probably should have thought about that. That is my fault for not doing more research.

Matterfall will return back to the normal chain. It's a PS4 exclusive.

IanMalcolmPhD

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:43 am

That's a good point. It very much seems to be a project that they are passionate about, which is a great thing to see from a developer regardless of what type of game it is.

Personally I'm loving the challenge, but it would be unrealistic to assume that everyone likes or would like this type of game. All I can say is that for me, they nailed it.

Like you said, Matterfall is right around the corner so I hope it satisfies your Housemarque itch. Different type of game, but we know it'll be great quality.

SuziQ

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Eshaal wrote:If I remember correctly in Resogun there were 2 weapon upgrades per level. Which meant that when you did die, the max you would drop is 2 levels which was still enough firepower to deal with enemy waves. In Nex Machina, 2 deaths and I am back to zero. Coupled with the issue of respawning bang in the middle of lasers and bullets with no grace period. Whose bright idea was this? Not only do I lose weapons, but lose unnecessary lives through no fault of my own. This then makes the 1CC Experience run even harder!

Wait, I don't think that's how the game works. If you die, one of your 5 upgrades (including the secondary weapon) falls to the ground. If you can pick it up again you haven't lost anything, you can die again and repeat the process. You can go through all your lives fully upgraded. However, if you can't pick up your item on the ground and die again, the item is lost and another one drops to the ground. So if you are fully upgraded, you'd need to die 5 times without getting any of your dropped items to lose all your upgrades.

Only way to lose everything instantly is to run out of lives and use a Continue, and I agree that it can be incredibly hard to come back from that.

SuziQ

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:11 pm

IanMalcolmPhD wrote:Personally I'm loving the challenge, but it would be unrealistic to assume that everyone likes or would like this type of game. All I can say is that for me, they nailed it.

But we all do like this type of game. The problem is that Nex is way harder than anything Hoursemarque has ever done, and that they might be frustrating and alienating a good part of their core audience when they hit a wall way earlier than expected. And again, this isn't about lowering the skill ceiling, I could never beat Resogun Master or compete in Highscores, that's fine. It's about more accessibility on the lower end, why is the 2nd out of 5 difficulties already so damn hard for the average player. It really feels like they bumped up the difficulty I'm used from Housemarque by a whole level and then some. There are apparently 25 people who could finish Master right now. Total. Worldwide. 2 for Hero.

Ah well, I'm not giving up yet. And congratulations on finishing Experienced, that is encouraging.

Return to “Nex Machina”