Eshaal

Re: Experienced too difficult, please hear me out...

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Good evening folks!

So, after a break I attempted Experienced 1CC and sad to say same old story. I get passed Boss 4, and from there onwards it is potluck. The moment I lose a credit, I stopped playing.

There is simply no margin of error on experienced level; the kind of margin I would expect on Masters or Hero level.

Yes I play for Trophies too, why not? After all Trophies are a challenge within the game. A sense of achievement, just like topping a leaderboard with a high score in Veteran mode. The only reason a Veteran clear is worth more at the moment is simply because not a lot of players have completed Veteran! Plus each difficulty level has its own leaderboard.

I have noticed how those chest thumping Beta players have not completed Veteran mode yet either. Early stab at the game, still stuck on experience level.

The fact is there are 5 levels of difficulty. On average one would expect to hit level 3 (Veteran) and then take it from there.

No one is expecting Veteran to be lenient, but at the same time no one is expecting Experience to be brutal.

Here’s the thing – when I was playing in Rookie mode, I was appreciating the production of the game – a work of art – but frustration has set in which means I cannot pay attention to the detail and beauty of the game.

Sad but true.

Hylian

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:32 am

You're getting to World 5 (of 6) on EXPERIENCED after one week of playing the game. I can't understand why you're complaining. It's an arcade game. It requires hours and hours of practice to hone your skills. You're not experienced enough. Go practice some more.

Eshaal

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:11 am

I have spent a solid 3 days playing and practicing since day of release. Perhaps there is too much going on the screen as difficulty increases? I know the Red arrow line can be off putting when things get hectic.

Memorizing the levels and patterns isn't the issue. It's when losing a credit, my pea shooter is utterly useless in later stages of the game and the challenge just seems unfair at such a low difficulty level. If I was struggling on Veteran, I would not be complaining at all because I expect Veteran to be tough.

A thought. Perhaps increase the number max number lives? Rookie 20, Experienced 10, Veteran 5 - something like this.. Sure beats max live 5 given there’s a plethora of 1 ups throughout the game. This would also encourage players to scan levels for 1 UPs etc.

Hylian

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:51 am

Don't hit the continue then. I've never once done it - to me the game is about high score and trying to complete on a single credit anyway. Just start again, or better still practice the single worlds on their own. Once you can survive each one, you just need to put it all together. I think you're asking for frustration hitting continue as you'll just be hitting your head against a brick wall.

SuziQ

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:17 pm

@DenT4FacE
Appreciate the answer, and I agree with most of it. :-) Or maybe all of it. I was about to ask for more inclusiveness on the lower end, like an actual easy mode for very casual audiences (rookie isn't in later levels imo) and maybe an additional difficulty between rookie and experienced. But idk what that would change really. Rookie exists, maybe that's enough. I would feel better about myself if I could beat 3 out of 5 difficulties instead of 2, that's all really. And I agree that the continues are the real problem on Experienced.

"Platinum should lean towards the hard side of the balance rather than the easy side." yeah totally, I agree with that whole bit about trophies. And I generally wouldn't want them to be easier too, I get Platinums for my favorite games as an additional set of challenges and as a way to spend more time with the game. And to have a nice little reminder of my "proficiency" with the game, I know I did more than 90% or 99% of all players even if it wasn't objectively very difficult. It's just that Nex turns this to eleven haha, it's one of the few plats I may not be able to get even if I wanted to. It's cool, I get it. :-)

And thanks for being understanding about this whole thing. I can tell you put a lot of work into being emphatic, that's a nice change of pace from the usual "git gud" bs online from people with the emotional intelligence of a bucket of bricks.

@Victor
Good luck to you too with the trophies. Did you know that doing the minigame restores a bit of the human combo meter?

DenT4FacE

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Good stuff SuziQ :1cool: -thumbs up-

And thanks.. I could say the same thing about pretty much everyone who replied to this thread. This has been a nice conversation.
Formerly known as Cobra_Qc on Housemarque forums and on PSN

SuziQ

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:14 pm

I think so too. :)

Oh and I found out about the dash+smartbomb combo a while ago and it's a total game changer from running around with a rocket launcher. I'm having a lot of fun being aggressive with my dashes now and the game got quite a bit more manageable, I'm just deleting all the enemies that would give me trouble. Until I lose all my lives in the last level and still can't beat that mofo. :1rolleyes:

DenT4FacE

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Smartbomb is the way to go.. for me at least. Powershot isn't all bad, you get an area of effect giving invincibility frames everytime you fire it. Detonator is also pretty good if you can use it well. The other sub weapons, heh, not so much imo. But yeah, Smartbomb is awesome. Glad to hear that you're making progress.. keep at it and who knows? You might even beat Veteran soon :)

I'm sure you'll get the Experienced 1cc soon enough.. and I guarantee you'll feel super good about it ;)

Also, don't forget to shoot the environments, there's a lot of hidden Extra Lives in this game. Of course, the tough part is knowing and remembering where they are.. but again, the more you play, the more they become second nature.
Formerly known as Cobra_Qc on Housemarque forums and on PSN

Victor

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:31 am

Smartbomb is indeed the best power up in my opinion as well.

Again. Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread.

It's really nice to have a healthy and civil debate like mature adults.

Housemarque has created something really special with this game. And...with just a little bit of tweaking...I think it can be great.

SuziQ

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words. :-) AND I haven't even played at 75fps freesync yet, that's probably... 20ms off of my input delay. I think we can all agree that beating master is only a matter of days now. :1cool:

The hidden extra lives: good point, too bad they don't go above 5 and convert to multiplier ups after. That's better game design of course but I sure would love to go into the last level with a dozen lives haha.

Return to “Nex Machina”