FatCatTaco

Dead Nation PS3 Controller Bug?

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:03 am

Hello,

I'm probably the only person on the planet still playing this game on the PS3. Anyway, I just picked the game up again after a few years and am experiencing an odd bug. The game randomly throws items when I don't specifically press L1. I can get it to happen just by randomly moving the thumb sticks around. It usually happens when I make a quick movement on the sticks. I'm using a stock Sony controller that came with the PS3 and I'm wondering if the controller is somehow bad even though it seems to work fine otherwise. The keys aren't sticking. I even re-mapped throw item to the 'X' button and it still happens, and the detent force requirement on that key is much greater than L1. So it's hard to believe the problem is from false triggers from the controller itself. That being said, I seriously doubt the game has a bug in this area after so many years of maturity.

In any case, any ideas as to what may be the root cause of this? Has this ever been reported before? If so, what was the resolution? Should I buy a new controller? What would you recommend, etc.

Just the other day I was at the beginning of Round 11 in ROD when the game suddenly deployed all 4 of my turrets. So much for surviving the arena after that! :1angry:

Thanks in advance,
+FatCatTaco

Yepe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dead Nation PS3 Controller Bug?

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:07 am

Before I would try a new controller I'd check if you have issues with other games :-) Then maybe try re-installing the game or buy a new controller if it's the controller's fault.
It's time to squash bugs and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum. :1rolleyes:

Square

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:33 pm

You should restart the controller at first.

FatCatTaco

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:31 am

Hey all... it was the controller! I opened it up and fixed it. The flex circuit that connects the button controls to the main PCBA makes the connection by virtue of pressure (from the enclosure being screwed together) only. In other words, it's not soldered to the contacts. So what was happening was that the flexing of the plastic controller enclosure itself during play was causing the flex circuit to temporarily break contact with the main PCBA. This loss of contact behaves like a button event. So, I just added a piece of double sided tape behind the flex contacts to provide more pressure and the false triggers don't happen any more. Thanks again!

Yepe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:37 am

Good thing you were able to figure out what was wrong! :-)
It's time to squash bugs and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum. :1rolleyes:

Return to “Dead Nation”