Taylorhead

Re: Ideas for potential sequels

Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 pm

tommasodb wrote:Uhmm... I feel that taking away the thumbs from the stick could be rather deadly in an intense situation...

If you use your right hand to do the swiping your left hand still has control over the player. As it works now you have to use your left thumb or in my case I use my index finger and it's awkward, and you lose control of your player to change weapons/items with the D-pad. The one thing the apocalypse edition did right over the original was give the option to map guns to the face buttons and it's extremely helpful. It eliminates the scrambling to find the correct gun with the D-pad. I always would try to remember how many presses of the D-pad I needed for a particular gun and like you said in intense situations you might be running and you have to use your left hand to change items/weapons, and I end up having to look at my weapons/items at times to make sure I'm selecting the gun/item I want. With mapping face buttons you can guarantee you are selecting the correct gun. It's so fast and easy being able to jump to any gun with 1 button.

If you guys have made it in the later rounds in Road of Devastation you know the last checkpoints where you end up throwing all your mines and turrets, etc. I imagine being able to do quick swipes on the touchpad it would be so easy to throw whatever item you wanted without scrambling using the D-pad to make sure you are on the correct item. Which would also allow you to keep control of the player as you start throwing whatever items you want. Im also saying that when you swipe it throws it not just selects it. I could also see the healthpacks in RoD being able to just push the touch pad and it gives you the health pack. The more items/weapons you pick up the more difficult it is to navigate them.

Taylorhead

Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:58 pm

How about the ability to create challenge rooms for our friends with a level creator, where we dictate which enemies and what waves come out. Being able to set which guns/items and how much ammo you start out with. It would add huge replayability. I can see sending challenges to our friends and competing with each other on top score. Maybe have the ability to place generic walls, fences, or gates?! No safe rooms just a quick 2-3 min challenge arena. People can rate/vote on the challenge rooms and be able to search and play the top rated rooms!

I can see making rooms that have screamers and limiting the player to only the rifle or limited SMG ammo. Shotgun only room full of cutters and jumpers, etc.

JoshingAbout

Tue May 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Taylorhead wrote:How about the ability to create challenge rooms for our friends with a level creator, where we dictate which enemies and what waves come out. Being able to set which guns/items and how much ammo you start out with. It would add huge replayability. I can see sending challenges to our friends and competing with each other on top score. Maybe have the ability to place generic walls, fences, or gates?! No safe rooms just a quick 2-3 min challenge arena. People can rate/vote on the challenge rooms and be able to search and play the top rated rooms!

I can see making rooms that have screamers and limiting the player to only the rifle or limited SMG ammo. Shotgun only room full of cutters and jumpers, etc.

That would be such a cool feature! I could see that being a sort of DLC pack after the release of the game. I really want Dead Nation 2 to be announced at E3 this year. I just want it so badly. I read rumours of it being cancelled and that would make me a very sad panda indeed =[

Taylorhead

Wed May 28, 2014 9:00 pm

I think it's safe to assume they're working on Dead Nation 2!!

1. Housemarque released a video to the fans last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rozWHFW6eUQ
2. Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition was given out as a ps+ game which was obviously to turn on new fans to the Dead Nation franchise. So when Dead Nation 2 rolls around more people are ready to buy the sequel!

JoshingAbout

Thu May 29, 2014 4:40 am

My hope is that you're right =] My fear is that the teaser trailer was simply about Dead Nation for Vita or the Apocalypse Edition with no plans for a sequel.

I would actually buy a PS4 just for Dead Nation 2.

Taylorhead

Thu May 29, 2014 2:25 pm

If you look at this thread about Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition http://www.housemarqueblog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144

Tommaso about 6 posts down said: "This is NOT our other PS4 project ;)"

I think you're good on getting that PS4 now ;-)

The Captain

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:45 am

Firstly I don't know why but have never discovered this forum before, perhaps my internet browser couldn't locate it or whatever, but now using ipad it's plain and clear to see. Anyway, I have posted numerous stuff on other forums but I'm guessing this is the proper one..

Well I think to begin with, Housemarque should fix their game, however old it is. It says something a developer can't be bothered to fix their game, and for future releases will put many off their products if that is their stance. The game (scoring leaderboards) have been broken for years, and considering Road to devastation is based upon leaderboard scores, issues should have been addressed a long time ago. Other than the scoring/cheating going on, connection issues are of concern also. I've played something like 1000 hours or more, probably another 200 hours in addition lost when 'logged out of psn', resulting in game failure and no recorded score. To be fair, yes of course a few times it was due to internet connections, but most of the time both co op players would still be online and yet logged out of game. Very annoying ten hours into a game...

I can't remember exact dates etc now, but myself and co op buddy were no.1 with RTD. For a good few months about a year or so after release of game. Others tried and failed to beat our score, until the French arrived from nowhere! I won't mention names, but they beat us, we beat them and so on. Eventually we both moved on to other games. We came back a month or so after stopping play (fed up with connection issues) and now the top scores were more than double our highest score! Something like 9 billion. Plus a whole flock of Frenchies were in on the act, in solo scoring and co op. And when arcade mode came out, it just further proved impossible scores and cheating. We decided it really wasn't worth playing the game anymore, there was no point wasting time if cheats can easily beat our hard earned scores. Of course the high score now is something like 16 or 17 billion..

I had hoped the ps4 release would fix connection issues and so on, but it seems to be as bad as on the ps3. And I can only assume the exact cheating can occur on that version as well, so little point in playing it.

Anyway, besides all that I loved the game, but it was ruined by failure to fix it. I can only hope a sequel is in the making, and will be concrete proof of cheating and no connection issues. If you know it is broken, then by all means fix it and reset leaderboards. What confidence would anybody have in any games developer if they don't fix their products?

As for ideas for a sequel (as per forum question lol), I would like to see a change in the scoring system. Rather than multiplier as we know it, scrap that as well as time/large combo bonuses. Surely keep it simple, the points are worth the same value for each type of zombie no matter what your multiplier is. Of course for example the score route would have more and harder to beat zombies with high values. On whatever ratio you wanna go with, at the end of the round, you can get a bonus for not getting hit. So for example say you score a million points in one round, if not hit, you get a 100% bonus. If you lost say 25% of your health, you lose 25% of that bonus, just for that one round. So rather than ever so slowly collect multiplier over many many rounds, only to possibly lose half of it or more by taking a small hit - if you do get hit, you only suffer a lower score for that one round. The players that should be top are the one that can both progress the furthest and acquire the most not get hit bonuses. I can't understand how if you have 6000 multiplier, a little green zombie takes a nibble of your health off and you've lost 2000 multiplier or more, basically meaning you can't now achieve a really high score because it takes too long to recover all that multiplier, and in the rounds to get it back your losing tons of points. When playing a game for countless hours, it is ever so cheap to strip away multiplier. If I had 10k multiplier and took a hit losing 8k, that really isn't on considering it took forever to acquire it and means game is as good as over and little point carrying on.

Also, I'm not sure how you can implement it, but some kind of save every 5-7 rounds. Even if it's just a one time use, if the game is disconnected, all is not lost. Or simply players with less time can continue game another day if not enough time to continue. Perhaps some sort of program that can use fair judgement. So say a player takes a hit/dies and conveniently disconnects seconds after. Sure, you may not allow game to be reset to an earlier point. But if neither player has had any reason to disconnect game, then reset game at previous checkpoint so the game can continue and not just be lost.. You might be unlucky and get hit, disconnect genuinely and not be allowed to continue, but on the whole, it's an idea to help save losing gameplay. Losing ten hour plus games is no joke!

Some kind of customisation of characters would be nice, such as colour of torch lights.

Have the same items in chests every round, it's awful when you get items you don't need and your game can be ruined by bad luck of not getting right gear or zero drops from zombies in score route.

Some new environments, zombies, a longer and more in depth story, possibly different endings depending on the path you choose in campaign. Bit longer would be appreciated. Keep the gameplay and feel the same as original dead nation, just add new stuff to do with all the latter fixes.

It is nearly 6 in the morning, so I apologise if anything doesn't make sense etc

tommasodb

Ideas for potential sequels

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Hello there,
regarding the cheating, the way it happens was addressed somewhere else in this forum, I'll try to find the post on monday. In short, it was an exploit on a feature meant to have players bring save games to their friend. So, honest mistake.

Regarding the lack of fixing: we are perfectly aware of how frustrating it is, but we can work on a game only until our publisher tell us to do so and provides a budget for it. We can't work at a loss for long if we want to stay in business, and most patches require weeks if not months of development time. So, eventually, we had to move on on other projects. At the time Dead Nation was released, Housemarque was about half of the current size (= even more problematic to devote resources to a game that was already wrapped up).

About Apocalypse, we didn't work on that directly, but I don't think it's possible to cheat in the same way.

Return to “Dead Nation”