jagman

Level editor as an addition to dead nation .

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:10 am

More game play options and especially a level editor for arcade mode or endless ,with save points, would increase the appeal of the game .
The idea would be that different people could create different sections in arcade mode and choose a different difficulty cap and that is where their stage would be slotted in to an arcade game of dead nation . Given this model players would never know what would be next because of the range of creative input into the stages .Many options would be available .Specific task option ? BOSS or no BOSS play .Drop a weapon to pick another option ?

I think that games loose appeal when they become predictable .The addition of difficulty is not the magnetic factor for the player .It is the the same,same ,same and just more difficult .
Throw in user created stages and see how interesting the game can be ! The art work and model of Dead Nation is excellent except that it is restricted by it's own repetition . User created levels would add a dynamic to the game !

This is the problem in that the developers perceive that a game has a use by date and to some degree this is true . A game that becomes repetitive too quickly or has been played a few times quickly becomes second hand .So they strive to make something new for the sake of new ! Why not just improve what already has been invested in ? OK people have stopped playing .Why ? Get the players interested to play again and produce such a good update that gets them talking to their friends .With good strategic advertising as well !

If I were to be able to create a level for arcade and if it could be rated then Arcade would be much more a return too game .The choice of arcade games to play would never be the same .Some more option to Zombie behavior would be implemented .For example more Zombies could jump over greenery ,the money stage .

tommasodb

Re: Level editor as an addition to dead nation .

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:48 pm

One thing is worth mentioning: making an editor that works on console is damn hard. The only good one I can come up with is Mario Maker, and it helps a lot that it's for 2D levels. To my tastes even the one of Little Big Planet, which people used quite a lot, was way too difficult for most people to use (sure, they can always play levels others made).

I'm very curious to try MM Dream.

jagman

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:28 am

It would depend on how complex the editing is .Would it not ? Even an editor that is PC based or tablet based ? Editing does not have to involve complete programming complexities ? Surely ? A matter of arranging map template and characters activation by the player's position prompt .Even putting a number of templates and parameters in an arrangement to build a section in arcade mode .Grantourismo have a track editor and many strategy games do too.Even Total Annihilation from 1997 has .It would give this game a lot more longitude .

tommasodb

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm

What I meant is that using an editor with the pad is often tedious. The more customisation options you offer, the more tedious it becomes. In this regard it would be much more probable for Housemarque to add a full-fledged editor if we publish a game on PC one day.

jagman

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:24 pm

A PC version of Dead Nation sounds like a great idea .I will keep a look out in the future .Will definitely be looking at Alien Nation .There is a delay I understand but I think something quite well done is worth waiting for !

Nenous

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:32 pm

jagman wrote:A PC version of Dead Nation sounds like a great idea .I will keep a look out in the future .Will definitely be looking at Alien Nation .There is a delay I understand but I think something quite well done is worth waiting for !

DEAD NATION on the PC, not happening at this point, considering it's Sony ip.

Return to “Dead Nation”