DenT4FacE

Re: RESOGUN, tips & tricks

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Yes, the Phobos overdrive is longer.

Have you tried harder difficulties with Ferox? This was the ship I was using at first but I think the game is actually harder with Ferox. Sure, you lose mobility when you use the Phobos but it's so powerful.. if you're good at positioning and if you know the level 's pattern, I really think it's the best ship. Especially on harder difficulties.
Formerly known as Cobra_Qc on Housemarque forums and on PSN

Br1ckt0p

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Yes, I've tried all the difficulties with both Ferox and Phobos but haven't done any meaningful score testing between them yet. I'll try the Phobos more often. The bit of extra agility with Ferox helps me a lot though. I've not got good dodging skills, so the extra pace and slightly faster boost recharge are attributes I lean on a lot. I've seen you and JoeFenix dodging. With those skills and the pure stopping power of Phobos, I can see it's a really powerful combo, along with the Overdrive. I don't know how you dodge like that though. I'm guessing you're anticipating the sentients next moves as much as you're running on reflexes?

On the easier modes, I can take in quite a big peripheral view of the cylinder. But on the harder modes, I find my field of view closes up, so I'm looking more in the immediate area around my ship just to try and survive. Can you take in a lot of peripheral on the harder modes or does your field of view close up too?

Also, that thing you do where you nudge the Cubetron cubes. That's a move and a half :D I can't work out how you do it, never mind how you discovered you can do it. Can you share how you do it? No probs if you want to hang on to it a bit longer, I keep trying things but it's not working out yet.

DenT4FacE

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks brickt0p :)

Not sure I can explain the peripheral view. It goes in and out... sometimes I don't even look at my ship, this leads to dumb deaths sometimes. As I said, tough to explain but yes, a lot of it is based on instinct and predicting the sentients movement.

But for the cubes, I did discover that you could gain a ton of points on them on my own but I've learned a lot by discussing with other players afterwards. Namely, Lastassault and Jumpmanjam.. I can share some of the knowledge but it really comes down to self experimentation and finding out what works best for you. In the video, you see me boosting straight on them and backing away to avoid breaking them with the post detonation of the boost. That's one way to do it but you can also get close to them and boost away (with just a boost tap), this will push them as well and it's by far the safest technique. You can take them at an angle to make them go up or down too.. The idea is to get all three cluttered together. The closer they are to one another, the more effective your OD should be. Hope this helps..
Formerly known as Cobra_Qc on Housemarque forums and on PSN

Br1ckt0p

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Awesome, thanks :) I'll give it a try.

Got to give a shout out for my friend davidw10. He's taken top spot on Single Level Febris Rookie mode today. We don't know how long it might last but given JMJ's domination of no1 positions, I think it's really well done :)

tommasodb

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29 am

DenT4FacE wrote:This is Single Level on Master and with the Phobos. You can't get so many points in Arcade or on lower difficulties because the overdrive isn't as powerful and long lasting as it is here.

Forgive the poor quality. This was uploaded to Facebook and the resolution took a hit when I copied it to Youtube. Better quality can be found here

Not perfect.. could've been better but they're cubes. They can always be better ;)

Whoa! I honestly wasn't aware of that ^__^

tommasodb

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:34 am

Brapp347 wrote:I'm not sure if this bonus score applies to the multiplier, but I'm guessing it does.

Hi brapp, multiplier applies to all.

I was thinking that the green number was the total bonus you got from that boost or overdrive, but it's not. Perhaps at the end of an overdrive or boost, there should be yellow numbers that shows you the total bonus you got. So with the 10+20+30+40 example I gave above, the green number would be 40, but it should go away and a yellow one should come up with bigger font and say 100. It would be kinda like getting group kills in super stardust, where killing a group of enemies would double all of the points for that group and it would come up with green and bigger font to let you know your total bonus.

I understand what you say, but the thing is that 99.9% of players in the world don't want to do a math problem while playing. There are many factors at play during a Resogun run, so the exact amount of points at any moment is hard to estimate because there's also timing to consider. For example, the value of enemies decays over time, or saving humans quick brings you more points.

I guess the best way to go is to learn a few proven tecniques and experiment with those, if you start to count every single point you get out of an enemy you're gonna lose your mind ^__^

edit: I also figured out how the human scoring works.
they start out at 10k the next one will be 20k, but if you get it in when there's blue arrows, it'll be 60k(50k more than the last one). Then you would think the next one would be 30k, but it would actually be 70k, because the 50k ones actually affect the next ones. So if you save 4 in a short period of time it'll be 10k+60k+110k+160k. That's a lot of points!! But if you lose a human, they start from 10k again.

That's correct.

TimHitchings

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:06 pm

This may have been mentioned before, but one trick that I found useful on achieving high scores on the Acis level is stacking all humans. I get into the top 200 on the score boards by tossing all the humans under a rescue area. I then protect them during the level and as the transition to the boss takes place they all start floating up to the rescue area. I then quickly move my ship over them and get a large multiplier by rescuing all the humans in a row.

tommasodb

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:38 pm

TimHitchings wrote:This may have been mentioned before, but one trick that I found useful on achieving high scores on the Acis level is stacking all humans. I get into the top 200 on the score boards by tossing all the humans under a rescue area. I then protect them during the level and as the transition to the boss takes place they all start floating up to the rescue area. I then quickly move my ship over them and get a large multiplier by rescuing all the humans in a row.

Yep, we spoke about it a while ago, but it's good you refreshed everyone's memory!

tommasodb

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Playstation access published this useful video, it collects several of the tips we've been discussing about here:

Brapp347

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:31 am

tommasodb wrote:I understand what you say, but the thing is that 99.9% of players in the world don't want to do a math problem while playing. There are many factors at play during a Resogun run, so the exact amount of points at any moment is hard to estimate because there's also timing to consider. For example, the value of enemies decays over time, or saving humans quick brings you more points.

I guess the best way to go is to learn a few proven tecniques and experiment with those, if you start to count every single point you get out of an enemy you're gonna lose your mind ^__^

It's not so much that I care how many points I get, it's just HOW I'm getting them. I'm just figuring out how to maximize my score. The green number thing would've been a good indication to me that boosting does give you more points than shooting them, and each enemy you boost through makes the next enemy more valuable. Then again, just putting this feature as a loading screen tip would've gotten rid of the confusion too.

Also, kind of unrelated, I just got the second highest score in the world in hardcore arcade mode in super stardust delta. Goes nicely with my second place impact mode score 8-) I'm done bragging now :lol:

Return to “Strategy Guides”