mp2k3

Ship types and builds per game mode

Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:53 pm

Ok. So I've been kicking around the tires with Dent on my journey to Hero on Arcade and Protector mode high scores. Dent brought up with my ship's current build some challenges that I may face. Nemesis 6-8-1 on Mefetis.

I know some of you are mlg on this game, and almost any build you can do some fancy things.

However, after playing this past Saturday morning EDT and having fun visiting soopa's stream and having him stop by with his friends on mine explaining to me what to do on my stream, I saw some builds live and in action. I would also like to thank his friends for giving me tips on Commando mode since I was raging out playing that as well.

For the newer players out there and for players like myself who are serious players but not quite at the level some of the pros are, are there specific ship builds better for certain game types? I am sure it is personal preference on how you play, but I am still new to switching ships per board level on Arcade mode. It feels cheesy to me to be switching weapon types and ship builds per arcade mode map. After raging long enough however, I feel the need to use the best optimal ship for the end bosses to move on.

If you look at the leader boards and look at the builds, you will find a mixed bag of what people use.

I played with Phobos early on pre ship editor, but now I am using Nemesis. I am trying to figure out why I have not liked Ferox at all through the years....maybe just noob'n hard lol. Anyone else out there like to stick to 1 ship style like myself and why or why not?? Thanks.

-mp2k3

supajoofly

Re: Ship types and builds per game type

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:08 pm

arcade - 0-10-5 any wep or 3-7-5 any wep
survival - 0-10-5 or 0-9-6 phobos wep is meta - but remember having a power shield increases all stats to 10-10-10 !
protector - you increase attributes +1 after each city destroyer kill. you can use any build but i would suggest starting with 10 boost. live long enough and you will have 10-10-10.
demolition - 10 agility is all that matters, considering boost and overdrive are disabled!
commando - MY HAUS!!!!!

NealosONE

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:27 pm

And Ferox is just pointless. No up or down shot.
Weaker than nemesis by end of acis
Weaker than Phobos even at distance when powered up
And the short range too to make sure its a joke option.

Seriously Ferox needs more range at least to be worth possibly been a 3rd option.
Although it shouldn't be as powerful as Phobis shotgun up close, it certainly needs more power than it has. It's absolutely pointless as it stands in my opinion.

Like supajoofly says
Phobos is a Survival mode Necessity
Nemesis is Arcade mode Necessity for keeping multi alive.

No one will beat the current Hero hi score without Nemesis
No one will beat the current Survival hi score without Phobos
Ferox is trash

Rustbuckets overdrive should come out the front and back at same time to signify an old obsolete ship with radioactive reactor. Make it a bit unique and worth picking for pro's.

Stardust should keep 360 firing in all modes and short ferox range. Make that a unique weapon.

I should get a T shirt

tommasodb

Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:54 pm

NealosONE wrote:I should get a T shirt

There will be news on that front. You know what month it is? The favorite month for gamers!

DenT4FacE

Re: Ship types and builds per game mode

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:58 pm

That's a good question and while it depends on your preferences, it also depends on what you are going for and your ability to do it. I pretty much stand by what joofly and (most of what) neil said but I have a few things to add.

Let me start by saying something that may seem obvious but from watching new players' stream, it may not be as obvious as I think it is... In Resogun, you have 3 evasion "moves". Boost, Overdrive and Bomb. When things get hairy, this should be the order to prioritize. What I mean is the first thing that should come to your mind when you feel that you're about to die is to boost out of it, if your boost is recharging you should use overdrive if you have it... if not, then use a bomb. The reason for this is because boost and overdrive are unlimited resources while your bombs are numbered. This might seem unrelated to your question but ain't for my answer ;-)

Ok, Boost is by far the most important statistic of all. In my personal opinion/experience, I'd say 7 Boost is the threshold. You do not want your build to be anything lower than 7 Boost.

As for Overdrive.. We found that 5 is the fastest charge and the "zero" point for duration. This might be a little cryptic, I'll try to explain as best as I can. We all know that you charge your Overdrive by collecting green voxels. With 5 points in Overdrive, you'll need the least amount of green voxels to charge up your meter and it's the "zero" for duration. Meaning, 4 overdrive doesn't last as long as 5 and it will require slightly more green voxels to charge it up. While 6 will last a tiny bit longer but will require more green voxels to recharge. I hope this makes sense... and if it does, it explains why pretty much every top player use 5 overdrive. So they can use it as often as possible and so it lasts long enough to generate a nice chain for points.

That doesn't mean 5 Overdrive is an absolute must. If points aren't that important for you.. and/or you are still figuring out the best spots to make use of your Overdrive for points, going with a 0 overdrive build is a viable situation. There was a brief period of time between game patches where Overdrive barely gave points, in these days I was using a 6 agility, 9 boost and 0 overdrive ship.

I'm currently using 3-7-5 for arcade and 0-10-5 for Survival and Protector (see joofly's post).

As for Weapon of choice.. that's a tough one for me when it comes to Arcade. I programmed myself with Phobos and my playstyle requires a strong weapon with long range. But with that being said, Nemesis is probably the better weapon for arcade. It has a lot of advantages for this mode, which is a topic of its own.. not gonna get into the details at this moment. But for Survival, you gotta go with Phobos.. definitely. For the sheer power and how quickly it takes care of the Sentinels on day 5 and up.

Sorry, there's no tl;dr option haha.. hope this post is helpful and I can go into further details/explanation if needed.
Formerly known as Cobra_Qc on Housemarque forums and on PSN

mp2k3

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:19 pm

Thanks for the viewpoints. I have been rocking 1 or less Overdrive for the longest time. Points were not an issue because I was simply trying to get to NG+ modes in arcade. Other modes in Protector (i'm at 93 mil solo don't laugh!!!), I believe I am shooting myself in the foot not taking more overdrive. Like any game that has it's hardcore audience, there becomes a cookie-cut style or preference that the popular believe in due to goal setting and the reality of the game itself.

I am sure Ferox has it's fan base, but something just doesn't feel right when I play with it. I prefer OP types LOL. I'm going to stick with my normal Nemesis build to reach Hero, but for Protector 0-10-5 I will try w/ Nemesis. For commando especially co-op....I am going to make-believe I can take Soopa's HAUSE with my skillz and team mates. rank 640ish or something like that. "This is going to take_a-while!!--"

Thx

-mp2k3

DenT4FacE

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:44 am

Overdrive isn't only about the points, it's mostly about that but it has other perks. Like Boost and Bomb, it can be used as a panic button. If it lasts long enough, it makes certain bosses MUCH easier and quicker to kill. And in Survival, top players are using it to slow down time so they can pick the powerup they want from the roulette and/or save humans when they are out of reach.

Since you've been playing with Phobos in the original version of Resogun, I imagine you are doing ok with slower builds. In my post, my intention was to give you some insight so you can come up with your own build but in this one I'll go ahead and suggest a build in particular. I think you should try 3-9-3 Nemesis (3agilty-9boost-3overdrive).

Use it or don't.. I won't be offended if you don't try it or if you hate it :p
Formerly known as Cobra_Qc on Housemarque forums and on PSN

mp2k3

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:01 am

Been using as you have witnessed on the stream. Working good and got very close to beating mefitis boss on master. I like the build for Arcade a lot. Did not get a chance to play protector heavily this past weekend because I've been chasing that co-op commando top 100.

My boost times are a tad too long and I've been working on shortening them. Using overdrive a little more effectively now too. I feel like I need to tell my physician this. LOL. Clearly been playing a tad too long today. :1rolleyes:

Was fun and looking forward to more hints, tips, tricks and voxel collecting.

-mp2k3

ultraviolet

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:59 am

i used to run ships without boast until i streamed one time trying to get past arcade veteran and two very good players [both commented in this thread] told me i would have better luck putting more points into boast than overdrive.
of course it worked and while not being being a truly great player it has increased my enjoyment of the game no end.

i have the best time in arcade with a 7-8-0 ship, as i'm not that interested in high scores i just leave the overdrive for 'panic situations'
"The Thinker knows..."

mp2k3

Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:54 pm

ultraviolet wrote:i used to run ships without boast until i streamed one time trying to get past arcade veteran and two very good players [both commented in this thread] told me i would have better luck putting more points into boast than overdrive.
of course it worked and while not being being a truly great player it has increased my enjoyment of the game no end.

i have the best time in arcade with a 7-8-0 ship, as i'm not that interested in high scores i just leave the overdrive for 'panic situations'

ultraviolet,

Yes, the community is very welcoming to new players that are looking to get the most value out their gaming experience. I am learning first-hand specifically in Reso. I used to only use boost for panic situations as well.

Hmm, so you do "speed" runs in this game. Does the pause button count towards that timer?...I wonder..

-mp2k3

Return to “Strategy Guides”