Cobra_Qc

[Tips] Dead Nation strategies

Tue May 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Hello Housemarque community! Here are some of my personal tips and strategies for Dead Nation's campaign. I encourage everyone to post their own, disagree with mine or ask any question about this post or the game in general.

These tips are mostly meant for players shooting for a high score but they can also be helpful for players looking for better ways to survive. Keep in mind that I only play on Undead in single player (I'll play on Morbid for practice when I've been away from the game for too long and in coop but my tips are essentially for playing on Undead difficulty, but not exclusively...).

Most of these tips are gonna be obvious for many of you.. But I hope some of them turn out to be useful.

On Braindead, Normal and Grim difficulty I personally use my rifle for almost every situation. I invest in a shotgun for super zombies and a Shocker for kicks. On Morbid and Undead, I buy every weapon but flamethrower and SMG (I use them in single mission mode because they are already purchased but I use my cash for other weapons when playing Campaign). Upgrading your accessories should come before you invest in any secondary weapon. My accessories are almost maxed before I buy a shotgun..

Super Zombies:
-Mouth: Their scream will spawn hordes of smaller zombies. You want to kill this bastard right way. He won't be able to scream if you keep shooting him until he dies.
-Bombie: Blade Cannon takes care of them instantly.. If the option is unavailable, they can be killed with your rifle when you see them coming from a distance but be ready to Rush away once they get close. Use a flare if they get you by surprise.
-Jumpers: Use Rush ONLY when you see them jump anytime there is one of them in the area. Shotguns are very effective against them.
-Cutters: Always keep a safe distance.. Try to keep backing away when they're walking towards you, Rush only after they rushed you "a little" (work on the timing.. right before they take a first swing at you). Shotgun is risky but effective.. Rifle is safe but takes a while (great if you fight them one on one).. Launcher works best.

Weapons and Accessories:
I'll use "Greater than" symbols to illustrate which upgrading aspects I prioritize for every weapon and accessory.

-Rifle: Most important weapon.. Works well in almost any situation. Upgrade as soon as possible.
Rate of Fire > Power >>> Clip

-SMG: I don't use it... The reason being that I find it useful only for Screamers minions and having the quickest access as possible to my shotgun is too important. The SMG gets in the way more often then I have use for it. Plus, it's only very effective when fully upgraded.

-Shotgun: Great for Super Zombies (except Bombies, you don't want to shoot them up close), Sneakies (the zombies leaning against the wall and waiting until you get close to run after you), Fat zombies.
Rate of Fire > Power >> Clip >>> Max capacity

-Flamethrower: I don't use it... It's great to confuse zombies and give you some room to breathe BUT the problems with it are that zombies will wander off and you may lose track of where they are going.. They will come back to get you but you probably won't see them coming until the very last second. It can also set you on fire which of course, is never a good thing.. This is especially true when playing in coop. I use Molotovs instead of investing in the flamethrower.

-Blade Cannon: I love this one! Works best after tossing a flare or in narrow areas. It cuts any zombie in two but I try to save my ammo for Bombies and military zombies. No real need to upgrade but it obviously doesn't hurt..
Max Capacity >>> Blade size

-Launcher: I use it only for Cutters on Undead because it's too easy to harm yourself with it and thus hurt your multiplier.. But Cutters on Undead are NASTY so a Launcher is pretty much the best way to take care of them.
Blast Radius >>> Max Capacity

-Shocker: Best weapon in the game, in my opinion.. Great for any zombie but Super zombies and Sneakies. Essential for the last level..
Power >> Range >>> Clip >>>> Max capacity

-Flares: Will instantly distract any zombie but Cutters and Jumpers.
Duration >> Max capacity

-Grenades: Speaks for themselves...
MaX capacity >>> Blast Radius

-Mines: Can work as a neverending flare... It's important to note that using them on Bombies and military on Morbid or Undead is a waste. They'll use every detonation. If you're enough of a veteran and you remember the spots where smaller zombies are gonna sneak behind you, drop a mine before you move forward. You can then focus on Super Zombies or any threat ahead of you.
Explosions >> Max Capacity

-Molotovs: They can be VERY useful when used properly.. like in corridors or narrow openings. I try to drop them behind me so I don't walk through it but also because it can slow down your progress. You can boost through but you gotta remember that fire will confuse most zombie and they might wander off and attack you later when you least expect it if you lose track of them.

-Dynamite: Like Grenades... only much stronger.

Armor:
Strength > Agility >>>> Endurance

I favor strength and agility because I want to seriously hurt zombies when I need to melee them and because mobility is the best defense. I don't care much about endurance because the idea is to not getting hit at all.. but of course, if you're struggling to survive you should trade strength for endurance here. Agility is always a must though.

Random Tips:

-Collecting orbs is a risk vs reward affair. They lose value when they are dimming, so try to grab them as soon as possible.
-Pay special attention to the sounds. You'll be able to distinct which type of zombie is coming after you. Super zombie, sneakers, fatsos and rushing groups of small zombies all have their own sound.
-Take care of super zombies as soon as possible.. Especially Cutters and Mouths.
-Don't buy a weapon until you have some cash to upgrade them right away.. A weak weapon in your inventory will only cause you trouble.
-Try to be strategic.. Don't shoot everywhere at once.. You'll only make any situation harder if you do. In other words, finish what you started.
-Use your Rifle power shot for fat zombies.. Most will go down with one power shot but some require two. A normal shot will make them rush you and you want to avoid that as much as possible.
-Do NOT underestimate the power of melee. I like to melee and rush (almost simultaneously) when zombies get too close.
-Use your accessories. In most coop games I played, my partners weren't using them frequently enough.. Your inventory should be empty everytime you reach a checkpoint.
-You can kill zombies below you when you're on rooftops by throwing a grenade. Like at the very beginning of the first mission.

I'm hoping to see some of your strategies because I do not pretend that my way is the best way (not at all). I'd like to hear your thoughts so I can tweak my style and further improve my scores!

unholyxnightmare

Re: Tips and Strategies thread

Tue May 07, 2013 3:42 pm

I would just like to throw a thank you your way for this post. I consider myself a good player and have gotten to 1400x i think in co-op but when i go solo i always either A: forget where the loot is or B: forget where those damn runners are hiding at.

I tried running on Undead yesterday and got all the way until the first checkpoint and took advantage of an early flare when i shouldn't have and got swiped two to three times.

I agree with a lot of what you post but i always buy the SMG but now i think i'll try your strat out and see where i can get with it.

Cobra_Qc

Tue May 07, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks! I appreciate it.

And yes, it goes without saying that knowing where and which enemy spawns at all times and knowing where the loot is greatly helps. There's no secret to it "unfortunately".

It's too late to edit but I forgot to mention something I find quite helpful.. whenever I toss a grenade, a mine or a flare, I aim forward and walk backwards (maybe not always for mines and flares but for grenades, yes). This ensures your toss is precise and hits as many zombies as possible. I lure them in a group and wait for the 'perfect' moment.

It's been a while since I played and talking about it makes me want to jump back in. Sooner than later now :D

unholyxnightmare

Tue May 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Cobra_Qc wrote:Thanks! I appreciate it.
It's been a while since I played and talking about it makes me want to jump back in. Sooner than later now :D

I know that feeling. My PS3 broke so i was out of the gaming thing for a while til i bought another one. Tough when you can't even play downloaded games. Now im rusty and have gotta keep playing to shake it off. Great thing is that the replay value is almost endless. I've played Highway to hell so many times.. love pushing that car off the edge :lol:

Jerique

Wed May 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Bosses
  • Runners: On Undead, they can cause huge problems for you, I like to take care of them with a combo of shutgun and mine.
  • Bombie: Easiest to deal with amongst the boss zombies. A power shot from rifle should start his blowup cycle. That, or let him get close and rush away when he is gonna explode.
  • Screamer: Shotgun this guy to death before he can summon. Use the SMG to pick of the zombies he brings.
  • Jumper: Second easiest to deal with, although when there is three or four at a time, it can get pretty difficult on Undead with a bunch of zombies or a Screamer interfering. Shotgun is your best bet for him too.
  • Cutter: Launcher, that's it.

Weapons
  • Rifle: Last resort, but it's the best gun till the shotgun is available in Campaign.
  • SMG: Pretty weak unless you spend loads of cash to upgrade it. On Undead it's just not worth touching.
  • Shotgun: Powerful for close range and weaker zombies and two of the Bosses, but it's just as costly as the SMG so it is best to take time with it.
  • Flamethrower: Probably the worst weapon in the game because it basically slows down zombies (hardly ever kills) and it almost always sets you on fire.
  • Blade Cannon: This is the best weapon in the game. If you know how to use flares in combination with it, this can take out 100s of zombies within seconds. It kills them completely too. Plus, it's cheap to upgrade ($225,000) for maximum upgrades, comparable to all other guns.
  • Shocker: I'd say it's the best gun, but before it kills the zombies it merely disables them. It needs a lot of usage on energy in Undead for the stronger zombies like military. Plus, it's insanely expensive for upgrading.
  • Launcher: It's sometimes a bad weapon when it only hurts you. Plus, sometimes you may miss your shot at killing the zombies and wind up losing ammo. It's pretty expensive compared to the Blade Cannon. It's best to save this for Cutter and/or Jumpers and/or Screamers.
  • Flare: I like to combine the Cannon with the flare to make it most effective.
  • Grenade: I tend to avoid using them because they don't do much on Undead mode to a strong hoard. They just keep coming cause of their greater HP.
  • Molotov: Weakest supply item, and not worth it if you accidentally throw it wrong or you catch on fire.
  • Dynamite: It's a combo of grenade and mine, but it isn't as good as either. It kills better than the grenade, but if you're caught in the ring, or the zombies crowd too much before it goes off, they could come after you once again and it won't be effective.
  • Mine: Best supply in the game, I think because it can go off 5 times and usually it is an instant kill. If you can somehow lure Jumper or Screamer or even Cutters over them, the better and easier off to kill them you are.

Armor
Use the gear to be the fastest and most endurance. Strength means zilch on Undead mode, and if you want to avoid getting hit, just be fast. In the end, if you need melee, it's still effective enough that you can get out and rush away. Endurance is important because just in case you get hit, you don't lose as much.

Cobra_Qc

Wed May 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Good stuff Jerique. We agree on a lot of things..

When you say "you don't lose as much with a lot of Endurance", do you mean the Multiplier, Health or both? I always neglected it because I never thought it would help keeping a high Multiplier... This could change everything!

Jerique

Thu May 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Both, but mostly health is affected by endurance. It gives more HP to you. But if you have more HP, then you lose less multiplier.
It's a reason I like to have it as MAX agility, and mid-to-max endurance, and then lowest strength.

Cobra_Qc

Thu May 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Very interesting, I had no idea. Thanks!

unholyxnightmare

Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Curious question but do you guys go for red or gold when it comes to the boxes? Like if i go for a run on Undead would it be best to get all multi or all money in the early goings?

Cobra_Qc

Thu May 09, 2013 11:14 pm

unholyxnightmare wrote:Curious question but do you guys go for red or gold when it comes to the boxes? Like if i go for a run on Undead would it be best to get all multi or all money in the early goings?

It's a good question. The answer is red, always :D

That's obviously because I know where all the loot is and I end up having too much cash. Well, I mean this is another reason why I limit my arsenal.. so I don't need a ton of cash and thus, go for red orbs everytime I have the option.

That being said, if you feel like you need the money early on to upgrade your rifle and get a decent amount of flares, I think you should go for the gold until you find the way to not need it anymore. It's no use grabbing the red orbs if your weapons aren't upgraded enough to prevent you from getting hit.

Oh btw, did you know that you can stomp on Medkits for gold when your health is full?

Return to “Strategy Guides”